HighScope Preschool Curriculum
HighScope Curriculum adheres to the interdependent parts of the continuum of care and early childhood settings, by ensuring curriculum mirrors the learning environment in an interactive fashion, while meeting the learning needs of all students across the five domains of learning: Physical Well-Being, Health, and Motor Development; Approaches to Learning; Social and Emotional Development; Cognition and Knowledge of the world including Mathematics; Language Communication and Literacy. Early learning takes place through hands-on interactive engagement, therefore our environment is equipped with learning centers to support continuous self-directed and structured play, allowing active learning to take place. Teachers and support staff promote students’ comfort by respecting “the child’s need to repeat, revisit and reflect on earlier experiences which leads to deeper understanding and consequently richer lasting learning” HighScope.
NYS Prekindergarten Foundation for the Common Core
NYS Prekindergarten Foundation for the Common Core captures milestones that children should achieve by the end of the prekindergarten year through the five domains of development:
- Approaches to Learning - How children become involved in learning and acquiring knowledge;
- Physical Development and Health - Children’s physical health and ability to engage in daily activities;
- Social and Emotional Development - The emotional competence and ability to form positive relationships that give meaning to children’s experiences in the home, school and larger community;
- Communication, Language and Literacy - Children’s understanding, creating, and communicating meaning; and
- Cognition and Knowledge of the World - What children need to know and understand about their world and how they apply what they know.
Download A Parent’s Guide to Understanding The NYS Prekindergarten Foundation for the Common Core one pager and the NYS Prekindergarten Foundation for the Common Core. Also able is A Parent's Guide to Common Core Learning.